Many things make Barcelona a very attractive and safe city to study and live in: its historical and architectural heritage, its cultural activities, its cosmopolitan nature, and its privileged location by the Mediterranean Sea.
Most of UPC schools, departments and facilities are in Barcelona, but there are some in nearby towns, all of them very well connected through the wide network of public transportation.

UPC schools and accommodation

Most UPC schools are in Barcelona and nearby towns: Castelldefels, Manresa, Sant Cugat del Vallès, Terrassa and Vilanova i la Geltrú.

The UPC has made four platforms available to help international students look for accommodation: HousingAnywhwere, Uniplaces, Beroomers and ResaHousing.
International students should visit the following web page for information on preparing for their stay at the UPC.


Non-EU nationals whose visit exceeds three months must apply for a student visa—not a tourist visa—at the Spanish embassy or consulate in their home country. If the duration of the course of study in Spain is less than six months, the embassy may issue a student visa specifying ‘for a course of study lasting a total of 180 days’. With this type of visa you will not be eligible for a student card and you will not be allowed to extend your stay.

If the duration of the course of study in Spain is more than six months, the embassy may issue a long stay student visa. You must also take into account that many embassies and consulates may take a minimum of three months to issue a visa.

Medical insurance

Regarding medical insurance, EU nationals who are covered by the public health service must apply for the European Health Insurance Card in their home country before travelling.

Students from other countries must enquire whether there is an agreement between the healthcare systems of the home country and Spain. If there is such an agreement, you must apply in your home country for a certificate that allows you to beneft from public healthcare in Spain if you need emergency care. Please note that only medical emergencies are covered in this case and not any other medical problem.

In order to apply for a visa, the Spanish embassy or consulate will require you to have private insurance that covers any medical expense during your stay in Spain. The UPC recommends the insurance policy “OnCampus Estudia”


The UPC offers you a range of services designed to help you to adapt to life in Barcelona, including language courses.

Further information

Please check the International Students section of UPC website.
International Relations:
+34 934 137 505
Published on December 9, 2021 Updated on January 3, 2022